Jeepers, everyone i see the first thing they say is "are you getting nervous"....I answer honestly "no not really, mostly excited". Sure, I'm nervous, who wouldn't be nervous for any surgery or major life event for that matter. But most of me is excited and just ready to do this. I'm starting a whole new chapter of my life, it's incredibly exciting!
This weekend has gone very well. We have gotten a lot of cleaning done. John was amazing and scrubbed the entire bathroom today, even cleaned the floor on his hands and knees. I am thrilled that he will clean the bathroom, it's my least favorite chore. We picked up a lot of junk and thoroughly vaccumed and even steam cleaned the carpet in the living & dining room. We certainly have more that should be done, but i've got a couple more days to work at it.
I'm also working on a few meals for the freezer. I don't want John and Faith eating all junk while i recover. I don't want them eating out a lot either. So the best cost effective solution is to cook some really big meals and freeze in small portions for them. So far made bacon mac & cheese for the freezer. The next 2 days I'll make some casseroles, some beef stew & a lot of spaghetti sauce w/ meat. That will give John lots of stuff he can reheat easily :-)
So speaking of the next two days. These are my last two days of "regular food" for a while. On Weds I go to clear liquids for the day. I have no special plans to feast on anything in particular but just plan to eat my normal meals. I havn't mentioned much of what my diet will be like at first. The first 2 weeks post op I will be able to drink protein shakes and I will be allowed a few "foods", those include cream soups, sugar free pudding, low fat "light" yogurt and tomato juice/v8 if i can tolerate it. I can also have all the sugar free liquids that i want. I will also be mixing unflavored protein powder into the foods as much as i can to bump up my protein intake. After the first 2 weeks I can start with puree type foods. I can try things like egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad all pureed smooth and not too chunky. Also meats, cheeses, eggs, hummus, flaky fishes. They like you to stay at the puree consistancy for about 4 weeks but you can advance slowly as you feel comfortable, being sure to cut food very small and chew very carefully. After a few months I will be able to eat more small portions, but will always have to make sure to eat protein first before any carbs.
It's going to be a challenge, i know that. But it will be worth it. And i am ready for it, i feel very prepared :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment